Tuesday 15 December 2009

Evaluation For Television Work - Christmas Shopping in Farnham


For our TV work, we were asked to create a one minute television package focusing on Christmas shopping in and around Farnham. For the package, we were given a range of aspects of television based journalistic techniques to apply to it, including interviews, a piece to camera (P2C), pictures, voiceovers and vox-pops. We were asked to film all the pieces ourselves, edit the final footage down to a one minute package and upload it to our blogs.

In our group, I believe that we incorporated all of these elements into our finished work reasonably well, and that our finished package is of a good standard. On the other hand, I think that we should have managed our time better, as the editing process of the work was delayed until close to the deadline, which will always affect its quality, and should have been avoided. The reason for this delay was that we had some early technical issues, with our original attempt at the work being imported from the camera in a very low resolution, which essentially forced us to start over, which was the only way to resolve the issue.

As a whole, our group worked well together, and we all gave a valid input into the work. My input for the assignment was the filming side, by providing the shots and filming the interviews. I think this worked well, as I am good at the technical side of broadcast journalism, but I feel that I struggle when in front of the camera, so in order to get the best from each member of the group, we chose aspects, which we were strong at. I also helped with the editing process.

Overall, I feel that I learned a lot from this assignment, as before we started I had no intention of choosing television when I had to specify, and after this, it made me think more about what I wanted to do. I think that because I thoroughly enjoyed the television aspect of this unit, I gave more of a focus to it, and this therefore made the work better, and gave a more relaxed attitude to the filming and editing processes, which is again essential as it makes it less stressful and would again improve the work.


Click here to see the finished work.

No comments:

Post a Comment